Monday, April 2, 2012

B is for BioShock Infinite

So last year, I used B for BioShock. But, that post was really just a gushy ode to my second favorite gaming series after the Legend of Zelda.  This year, BioShock Infinite will come out on October 16. I have already told my husband to keep a continuous  supply of bottled water and pizza handy for me. What's so special about Inifinite? Well, I'm glad you asked....

It's number three in the BioShock series, but it takes place in 1912, a good 50 or so years before the first one.

It takes place in Colombia, which is the exact opposite of my beloved, almost scary obsession with the underwater city of Rapture. Seriously, I would live in Rapture if I could. The best/worst thing about Columbia floating in the clouds is you can totally just jump off and fall to your death, so sayth Ken Levine.

I do have some reservations about the bright, sunny new city. But the more I see, especially of the "Heavy Hitters" enemies, the more creepy and awesome it gets. Check out G4's coverage of the new enemies. My favorite one is the robotic statue of George Washington who has mini-guns.  Or the Sirens or maybe the Boys of Silence....

Besides the time and place, there will be a new mode for Infinite called 1999 mode. It sounds like a love letter to us BioShock veterans who have beaten the first two on every difficulty offered. Hooray!

So yes, while I do love my Rapture, I'm super excited for Columbia. I trust Irrational to make an experience like no other. What I want is a warm, fuzzy mix of what makes BioShock great, but with new surprises and twists. I don't think I'll be disappointed.  (but it would be cool if there was an old fashioned Circus of Values in an alley, just something to consider... lol)

6 comments:

  1. This sounds really cool, and I hope you get as much out of Columbia as you did from Rapture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay ... that is one game I will not be playing, and when Ad plays I'll be watching from behind a cushion. Your post has made me realise I have a fear of robots.

    I hope Infinite lives up to your expectations though, and that you get all you want out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bioshock 2 expectations=High
    Reality=Not anywhere near Bioshock 1 (different dev team I believe?)

    Bioshock: Infinate=Has to be better than Bioshock 2.
    Reality: Probably going to be awesome!

    /Cannot wait!
    /Wes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a different dev team. But, I do love BioShock 2. In fact, I'm working on something (not for the a to z challenge)in defense of BioShock 2. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm not a gamer, but good luck with A to Z's!
    Popping in as an A to Z Blogging Challenge participant. Please feel free to visit and comment on any of my blogs as well, leaving a link to your own post, so my readers can find you too!

    All on Blogspot.com and all in the A to Z Challenge

    Heart of a Ready Writer – Bible &Devotional
    Meme Express – Daily Blog Prompts (A to Z)
    Nickers and Ink – featuring favorite classic poems from A to Z
    Practically at Home – Wait till you see what fellow writers are cited – with article links! Maybe you!
    Simply Snickers – Not posting daily in the A to Z Challenge, but inviting you to leave comments with you A to Z/NaPoWriMo poetry links!
    The Mane Point – profiling special horses from A to Z (just a few letter spots left!) –
    Working in Words – Writing How-to’s

    You can click my name/icon for links to all these blogs!
    Happy A-to-Z-ing!
    Linda Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, 21st century gaming is new to me - I grew up coding games into a PC and if one line was off, needed to go through all the codes to figure out the error. Today, I'm a simple gal loving my Tetris on an iPad :)

    Nice to see how far gaming has advanced.

    Good luck during the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete